Monday, April 30, 2012

Not another post about Water!

Turbulence at the Weir

Calm Water Reflections

Undrcurrents

Happiness is Cycling by the River
Water is huge. Over 70% of the Earth's surface is covered by it. 96.5% of all the water is found in the sea. Only 2.5% of the world's water is fresh, and most of that is in the form of ice. Only 0.3% is in rivers, lakes, and in the atmosphere. And, note this, 70% of that is used for agriculture. How can we possibly survive? Probably because most folk in the world don't have showers, baths or water closets!
Here are a few photos of the water in the Okanagan River.
 The thing is, water is made up of two atoms of hydrogen and one of oxygen, held together by a covalent bond. This brings me to the final picture of two happy people cycling by the river. I wonder what kind of bond is holding them together? Somehow I don't think it is covalent.

2 comments:

H said...

I laughed when you linked the last photo with the covalent bond. Very clever :)

I'm amazed that 70% of the world's fresh water is used by agriculture! I would expect the percentage to be significant, but that is a lot higher than I expected.

L. D. said...

Water is always fascinating, reacting to the conditions around it. Fresh water that tastes good from the faucet has become a rare thing at my house.